Friday, November 19, 2010

St. Augustine, Fl mm780

 

 10 Summer 008

We traveled a leisurely 50 miles today down the ICW south of Jacksonville.  It was a lovely, sunny, warm day.  The only real challenge was going through Jacksonville the currents were so strong and so conflicting that it created turbulence for quite a ways.  Then, for some reason, the strong, conflicting currents under the bridges caused “Belle” to fish tail so much that there were times I feared we might meet up with the bridge.

 

10 Summer 011 Again, as most days since Wrightsville, NC, we saw dolphins, but they were too quick to capture on film.  More pelicans and seagulls lined the waterway.  Not many boats today, but the ones that passed us had no courtesy and sped pass causing tremendous wake.  Fortunately, we had everything safely stored down below.

 

 

10 Summer 009

We passed lovely homes with elaborate boat docks/porches.  This one made us think it looked like something Robert would have built. The house was equally as lovely with planters filled with red flowers, like Maggie would display.  We went by too fast for me to get a photo of it too.

 

 

 

10 Summer 010

Here’s a photo of my favorite house.  It was light pink with teal trim inside the white woodwork.  I like the porch too.  If it had a metal roof and was further south I’d be even more delighted.  Dream on. 

 

 

 

 

10 Summer 017

Can you believe these cars on the north side of the inlet???  Those waves are in the ocean!  The people are sitting in chairs fishing at the water’s edge inside the inlet!

 

 

 

 

10 Summer 023

I never saw the fort from the water before.  We will tour it tomorrow.  The last time I brought someone here the story was turned around so that the Spanish were the heroes and Americans left feeling bad for what their forefathers did.  Originally, Americans left feeling patriotic.

 

 

 10 Summer 027

The St. Augustine City Marina only had mooring buoys available, so we are sitting out in the river.  We finally put our dinghy in the water so we can go to shore.  Just when we were beginning to think we didn’t need it!  Here is JB after paying for our mooring. 

This city is my favorite with its incredibly old history where it flip flopped between Spanish and English rule.  JB hasn’t been here, so I am so looking forward to sharing all that awaits with him.  We will share it with you tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Jan, I just caught up on your most recent posts and it has been great watching your progress, and I have really enjoyed the photos and commentary about the places you have been. I usually skim the comments at least once a day, but go in and read them more thoroughly every couple of days. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, Wow have I been out of the loop. After crazy work weeks I just settled in to reading all 2 weeks of your BLOG. What a wonderful journey and you wrote it so well. Just the right amount of history, narrative, and intrigue. You should definitely keep it up even when you reach your destination in Stuart. I also love the pictures, especially of you and JB. It looks like you've lost weight! I miss you and I am sorry I haven't posted sooner. I am home all week, so hopefully we can speak in person. I hope you had a wonderful day in St. Augustine - love it there! Love, Tam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia, Sorry we we just left the land of Bob and Pat. Which one are you? Glad you enjoy our trip with us.

    Tam, So very glad you finally caught up with us in St. Augustine. Yes, I think of our great visits here during your college days every time I'm here. We got a 3 day trolley pass with admission to several places we've never been. So we will be writing about them. Stay tuned...
    LOL (Lots of Love), Mom

    ReplyDelete